"The most important job I ever held was that of Precinct Committeeman." Harry TrumanBecome a Precinct Committee Member
Advantages and opportunities:
● Have access to more information about issues and policy than is found in mainstream media.
● Gain insight into what is really going on inside the Party and the government.
● Get to know your elected officials and candidates on a personal basis and give them feedback.
● Make your voice heard more effectively than as just being a registered voter.
● Participate in the decision-making process in the Party.
● Vote for the leadership of the Party at all levels: precinct, LD, county, state, and national.
● Belong to a social network at precinct, LD, county, and state levels with people who share your values and beliefs.
● Meet new, like-minded friends in your neighborhood and become an active, integral part of it.
● Gain experience to prepare you for greater responsibility within the Party in the future.
● Become an elected official!
● As a future candidate for elected office, gain:
o Visibility and network with current elected officials.
o Opportunities to be appointed to local, county, or state Boards and Commissions.
o Knowledge about the mechanics of a campaign and the election process.
o Support from the Democratic Party to run for office in the future.
Duties and responsibilities:
● Stay informed about local and national issues and candidates and share Democratic ideas with other voters.
● Attend your district monthly meetings.
● Attend all MCDP County Conventions
● Attend training sessions to improve skills and effectiveness as a PC.
● Help gather signatures and collect clean election $5s to support our candidates.
● Support whoever is the nominee of the Democratic Party after the primary.
● Respect all other PC’s and candidates. We are all in this together as Democrats.
● Educate voters in your precinct about the Democratic Party, its nominees, and issues. Help make sure your neighbors are registered and will vote.
● Build relationships with Democrats in your precinct by door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, and/or organizing informational gatherings for candidates, issues or values.
● Find precinct volunteers to assist with Democratic Party activities like canvassing, phone banking, informational gatherings, and social media networking.
● Sign up voters in your precinct for the Permanent Early Voting List (PEVL).
● Help GOTV (Get Out the Vote) when ballots are mailed and on Election Day.
● Support the Party financially in a meaningful way to you.